Saturday, June 4, 2011

What a difference a day makes...

Had a great run today - maybe it's being back on a relatively cool Long Island after the rolling boil that this Englishman felt in Florida? One has to hope that back in Blighty, positively freezing after being in the States, I'll run like the wind... hmm, we'll see!


Running in Florida was great and I enjoyed trotting along the beach, particularly at sunset. Having birds swoop and around you; passing couples and families strolling up and down enjoying the atmosphere and each other's company; a warming environment in every sense, even while I missed the challenge of navigating and varied terrain. Who could argue that this doesn't look like fun:



A far cry from the wind swept beaches in Northumbria, one of my favourite parts of the English coast.  I hope to be back there this weekend with my wife; after a month of being away I'm sure she'll be pleased that one of my highest priorities is getting us both out running together...  ideally up on the beach near where we married, which is a tenuous link so that I can gratuitously post a shot of our wedding day since I'm missing her, and home:


Today's run was a lot of roadwork basically to get me about ten minutes in some woodland - the kind of area I love running most.  In the last 24 hours I've started the journey home and got the chance to hear the rustle of leaves in the trees and underfoot; I can hardly contain the joy I feel at knowing I'll soon have my lovely Jennifer join me doing the same.  Truly, what a difference a day makes...

“Life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of little things, in which smiles, and kindnesses, and small obligations, given habitually, are what win and preserve the heart and secure comfort” - Sir Humphry Davy

1 comment:

  1. Married on the beach? Nice. We got married in Hawaii at a justice of the peace sorta thing on a whim. I love that picture.

    ReplyDelete