Monday, May 30, 2011

The gym - genuinely as bad as I feared...

...but perhaps only because the air-con wasn't working!


As usual I completely failed to get out of bed when I wanted to and decided to indulge in a good breakfast when it was clear I wasn't getting to the park for a run in the early hours.  That I wanted a long run kept niggling at me though, so I decided I'd give the nice cool gym a try out since that's what everyone out here keeps telling me to do.  


First I was surprised that the treadmill would only let me run for an hour at a time, then I was horrified to see just how rough I looked in the mirror!  It was interesting to watch the patterns of moisture form and work towards each on my tee-shirt though - up till I felt I might as well have been running in a wet towel.  When I was done there were only two tiny patches of shirt left that weren't wet - I'm convinced if I'd ran outside I'd have been cooler and drier!  Heyho, 10 miles done and I'm quite happy with that; day off tomorrow and then I'll set at least 3 alarms to try and get me up at a good hour on Wednesday...


You can just make out the dry bits on my arms!
Fast forward a few hours and I was chatting to a friend who is getting into exercise herself.  Have passed on the dailymile wisdom and links to a few blogs I've enjoyed.  She seemed really buoyed and it was a great feeling to put her in touch with some of the same inspiration that has driven in these past three weeks.  So thanks to all those bloggers who've inspired me - it's been great to pass it on.  


“Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way. Run often and run long, but never outrun your joy of running.” - Julie Isphording

1 comment:

  1. I never run on a treadmill near a mirror. It's just horrifying to watch. I stick with treadmills near windows... or televisions.

    ReplyDelete