Sunday, May 29, 2011

Got out there - and found 'out there' quite unkind!

So the plan was to double yesterday's mileage - that didn't quite work out!  Despite running earlier it was actually hotter (35 celsius/95 fahrenheit) and the first part of the route was open sandy scrubland.  I was just baked!  Had a good bit of water and a refill ready for the second lap but 40 minutes in I was clearly not going to be pushing on.  Loved it anyway - I found solitude on this route, amidst some of Florida's best natural beauty.  Needed shade when I was done...




I think a trip to the barbers's tomorrow - surely all this unnecessary facial hair can't be helping!


In the solitude I found time to reflect properly on some things and what hit me most about the past few weeks is how without the running I'm like a sponge for the company I'm in.  I've soaked up negativity and frustration and despondency when in fact there's no need.  I'm learning things, travelling, working independently and flexibly, finding time to train despite a busy schedule - all of which is what I want from life.  Sure, there are things that aren't great and individuals are having a hard time on the project, but hey, t'was ever thus and ever thus will be.  It's only through finding solitude, which a good run brings me, that I really focus on my own feelings amid everyone else's.


After the run I wandered around the Highland Hammocks again looking for 'gators.  Found a couple - the second didn't worry me so much as the first:




I wonder what other people take from running?  Is it an event that you chart or reflect on, or a means for reflection itself?



“The most important key to achieving great success is to decide upon your goal and launch, get started, take action, move.” - Brian Tracy

2 comments:

  1. I spent a summer in Mississippi 2 years ago and would go running at 4am just to avoid the heat. Even at that time I would be sweating buckets. Running in anything over 75 is really difficult for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - getting out of bed at 4am is completely beyond me. I'm constantly astonished about how difficult it is for me to actually move when the alarm clock goes off; good on you!

    ReplyDelete